Followers

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Week 2 Fall 2018: SEM Day

Campus MapThis image was taken from the Phoenix College website

So today was very productive, all three of us went to the SEM in the newly remodeled C building. Dr Hamdan helped us and walked us through the methods for using the SEM correctly. It was a challenge to get very clear images, especially on the rougher surfaced microplastics. Unfortunately Kassandra and I had to leave before all the images were taken due to our class schedules but luckily Amanda was able to stay and finish. I am so glad that we will be going back because I definitely need more time with the machine and the techniques. (For those that do not know SEM stands for Scanning Electron Microscope.) Although I do not feel like I had enough time with the SEM today, I am excited to be able to grasp and understand the whole process so much better. I can feel more confident when presenting our research going forward now that I will have first hand experience with the protocols, equipment, and images.

2 comments:

  1. This is very exciting! I heard that we had these high tech machines here at Phoenix College. I believe Dr. Eddie Ong is teaching a class on nanotechnology where they will have to opportunity to utilize these machines as well. I hope to see the pictures you get from the SEM along with more time for you to practice using the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome that you had you first hand experience in the SEM. You would always see the images and not really know the procedure and now you were able to follow the procedure in person. Hopefully, you will get more experience in the future, and become an expert!

    ReplyDelete

Reflecting on Databases

 Relational databases eliminate the redundancy of spreadsheets and create a system that can be easily queried to obtained higher level infor...